Friday, October 1, 2010

Would You Like an Encheeeelaaadaaa?


I will admit something to you -- I am lazy. Very lazy. On occasion I like to do big-deal cooking, but if I am going to cook during the week, it is likely going to be something VERY simple. This Green Chile Enchilada recipe is adapted from one I found on Simple Recipes, which is a great food website. I made it a lot easier and a little more filling.

Caustic Critic's Lazy Green Chile Enchiladas

Ingredients:
2 small cans green chiles
1 large jar tomatillo salsa
1 package of small tortillas (I used flour, but you could probably use corn too.)
10 oz can of white meat chicken
1 bag of Mexican blend cheese or plain Monterrey Jack
Spices to taste (optional)Fresh cilantro (optional)Sour cream (optional)

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium size pan, pour the chiles and let them cook a little. Add the chicken and cook until heated. Add spices if desired. I used Penzey's Turkish seasoning (it has cumin, cilantro, paprika, and a few other things in it. You could use any other spice blend or fresh herbs/spices if you like, I just used what I happened to have.)

2. Get out a 9x13 casserole dish and pour a little of the tomatillo salsa on the bottom and spread it around. Put 3 or 4 tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds, covered by a wet paper towel.

(You'll need to keep repeating this step as you go along.) Spoon a blob of the chicken chili mixture into each tortilla, followed by a sprinkle of cheese. Roll and place into the pan seam-side down.


3. Once you've rolled all the tortillas and used up all the filling, pour the rest of the jar of salsa over the top, then cover with the remainder of the cheese.
4. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.

5. Serve with sour cream and some fresh cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment