Monday, September 20, 2010

Greetings From a Saucy Wench


For my first official post here on Frugal Bostonian, I thought I'd give you all the recipe for my favorite basic BBQ sauce. This is a recipe I got from my dad, which is why I like to call it "Big Daddy Loy's Basic BBQ." It's a fairly standard sauce, and it goes very well on pork and chicken, and is serviceable on beef as well.

This recipe makes about 2.5 cups of sauce.


Big Daddy Loy's Basic BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1 C onion -- finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic -- minced
  • 1/4 cup butter -- melted
  • 1 cup ketchup -- (you don't have to use the good stuff here, store brand is fine.)
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry (Real sherry is better, but the stuff from the grocery store is okay too.)
  • 1 T light brown sugar (you can add more after you cook it the first time if you want it sweeter)
  • 1 t dry mustard
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar (If you want this more vinegary, you can always add more.)
  • 2 t Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 small splash Liquid Smoke (Optional -- I like it because it ties the sauce to our smoked meats.)
1. Saute the onion and garlic in the melted butter for 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and 1/3 cup of water and bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat to simmer, and cook 1 hour, uncovered, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.

After it's finished, you can taste it and adjust accordingly depending on your taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment