Saturday, July 17, 2010

Eye Round Experiment

So I was thinking about writing more blogs but then I realized I didn't have a camera and I am not poet so I figured I would wait until I got one. Well friends that day was today. I got my new camera and I had a whole day off of work today (which has become very rare this summer!) So I took a trip to Target to get some vacuum sealer bags and then off to the butcher. I found they had a full eye round roasts for $1.99 a pound! So I bet you can guess what we had today.



Took the whole thing out of the package took a very sharp knife and took off all of the fat and the silver skin. Then dusted it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika.

Then I put the whole thing on a disposable pan make a charcoal fire on one side of the grill, throw on some hickory chips and put on the lid.

Later on I put a probe thermometer in it to make sure I didn't over cook it. Because the eye of the round is so lean if you overcook it it will dry out like leather.


Give the meat about two hours or so. I cooked the meat until it came up to 140 and I think I am going to lower it to 135 the next time I do this because I feel like it could be just a shade more red. As you can see below it came out plenty juicy. I actually ended up throwing away the pan juices because it was plenty juicy enough and I was starving. I think I need to try to find another wood though. I think Oak might have had a better flavor than the hickory chips. If anyone out there knows where I can find some apple, or oak, or any wood other than mesquite and hickory please let me know.


TADAH!!!!



Little Spinach sauteed with garlic, red pepper flake and a sprinkle of Parmesan. There are some pan roasted potatoes with mushrooms onions fried little thyme, paprika, garlic powder, and of course salt and pepper.

I hope you will see more blog posts like this in the future! Stay tuned this weekend is going to be a interesting one cooking wise I think. Can you believe I invited many people over for this dinner and most of them declined! Madness!

Good Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment